Common allergens “hiding” in the home environment include:
- Dust mites: Microscopic arachnids found anywhere there is dust. Just one gram of dust can contain anywhere from 100 to 500 dust mites
- Pet Dander: Dander is small scales of skin that animals shed.
- Mould Spores: Microscopic fungal “seeds” that thrive in damp areas of the home, such as the basement, kitchen and bathroom. Carpet and upholstery dust harbors millions of fungal spores.
- Pollen: Microscopic reproductive components of flowering plants and trees. They enter the home from outdoors and are a common component of house dust.
Where Do They Come From?
Allergens are constantly tracked into the home from outdoors. Some are present in the home because of pets while others, such as mould, grow in damp areas. Research has shown that carpets in indoor environments act as a collector for these allergens. When carpets are not professionally cleaned regularly, these particles can become airborne.
Keeping your home healthy, clean, and safe are the most important things for any family. At Chem-Dry we offer a safe, allergy and chemical-free way to clean your carpets and to protect your family.
There are a lot of tiny little reasons to clean your carpet the Chem-Dry way… dust mites, allergens, and germs… it’s enough to keep you up at night!
Hints from our family to yours for maintaining a Healthy Home
The best way to reduce allergic reactions to dust, mould, and other indoor allergens is to reduce your exposure to them. Here are some tips for maintaining a healthy home environment…
- Control moisture and humidity (60% humidity or lower) by using a dehumidifier or air conditioner.
- Vacuum carpets, floors, and upholstery at least three times a week using a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter. Ask your Chem-Dry professional for vacuum cleaner recommendations.
- Sweep entrance mats regularly to reduce the amount of dust and soil tracked inside. We recommend the use of a ‘Magi-mat’ at the main entrance, ask your technician for details.
- Have your carpets and upholstery cleaned annually by your Chem-Dry professional, the tread ways more often if you have children or pets.
- Have your heating and air conditioning system inspected and serviced annually.
- Wash bed linens and coverings weekly in hot (130F) water.
- Have your mattresses professionally cleaned, then encase in allergen impermeable covers (Ask your Chem-Dry professional about mattress extraction services.)
Breathe Easier With Clean Carpets when most Dry in 1-2 Hours!
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recently announced a recommendation that carpeting be cleaned every six months to improve indoor air quality. A 10-year study concluded that indoor carpeting holds a similar level of mould spores and bacteria as do hard surfaces. However, this research also proved that the air above carpet contains fewer allergens then the air above hard surfaces. While hard flooring allows these contaminants to be re-circulated into the breathing zone, carpeting actually traps them and holds them like a filter.
This filter needs to be emptied frequently to insure proper function. This requires a deep cleaning which flushes contaminants while drying as rapidly as possible and does not use cleaners which can leave a residue which can serve as a food source. mould and mildew which feast on these residues can form after just 4 hours on damp carpets. After 24 hours, moulds, yeast, and soil bacteria are potentially producing odours and airborne allergens.
Properly maintaining your carpets promotes a healthier indoor environment.
Regular cleanings by Chem-Dry will not only improve the appearance of your carpet, but also your indoor air quality. Furthermore, the application of our sanitisers and deodorisers can also combat the food, bacteria, odours, fur, hair, and other pollutants that kids, pets, and everyday living introduce into your carpet and your home. Your home can be cleaner, healthier, and pleasant-smelling as well.